When you go to live in a new house as a newly married couple you need a series of elements almost always indicated in the list of what makes up a perfect kit : tablecloths , tea towels a>, bathrobes , bath towels , pillows , quilts etc. Besides these essential elements then, it is customary to indicate an almost inevitable element in every house there is usually constant presence of wedding lists : this is the set of kitchen knives. In the article we propose to clarify all you need to know about kitchen knives.
How many knives do you make a set of kitchen knives?
Usually the kitchen knives supplied in each set are at least 5 :
- A universal knife , which takes a while to cut any food that does not require a special tool; li >
- A chef’s knife , to fillet, chop, chop small to medium sized pieces of food.
- A bread knife , obviously for cutting bread.
- A knife for vegetables or santoku , to chop them up, cut them, chop them.
- A paring knife , for carving jobs. Span> li>
Often these 5 knives come in an elegant wooden block . Those more complete also include a serrated knife , a boning knife (boucher) , a thread knife , a sharpener for sharpening knives, a fork and a scissor .
What materials are kitchen knives made of?
Kitchen knives are composed of a blade and a handle , whose materials are different. There are many materials, both for the blades and the handles, and each of these gives the knife a characteristic very precise. Here is a list of the most used subjects for:
- Carbon steel : It is an alloy of iron and carbon that gives life to a product inexpensive but with excellent yields. It is also easier to sharpen than other knives but, unfortunately, it is very vulnerable to rust.
- Steel stainless (INOX): It can refer to any type of steel but has the characteristic of not rusting when exposed in a damp environment.
- Ceramics : Ceramic knives are very light and particularly sharp, not to mention that they lose their thread after a very long time. The downside, however, is that they are much more fragile than those in steel and therefore need more care.
- Wood : The wooden handle certainly allows an adherence and therefore a better manual ability of the knife but it is difficult to maintain and to take care of. Because of its porosity, wood tends to absorb odors and must not be washed in the dishwasher.
- Plastic : Their lightness is certainly a strong point, not to mention that they do not absorb microorganisms such as wood. Many people, however, tend to avoid them because they are more inaccurate in the cut.
- Stainless steel : They are the most resistant and hygienic so many chefs prefer them, even if they are too heavy and tend to slip a lot.
Even choosing a set of knives can lead to many doubts: We hope in the article to have solved most of them.